Sunday, March 30, 2014

Leaving Food On The Plate

I've recently realized something about myself.

I am incapable of leaving food on the plate.

It had never really occurred to me that it was an issue. Earlier tonight as I was eating dinner, I realized that I was feeling full. Looking down at my place I saw about a third of my dinner still sitting there. I was watching a movie and mindlessly kept eating. Now, I had pre measured my dinner and knew that the entire plate would be within my allotted calories, that was not the issue. However, next thing I knew I looked down at my plate again and all the food was gone. I didn't think about it much right at the moment. Later on, after the movie had ended, I started thinking about it. 

Why did I not stop eating if I was feeling full?

I started thinking back, and I really don't ever leave food on my plate! (Unless it's something I dislike.) Many times I have continued eating even when feeling completely full. I realized that I feel bad about leaving food behind. Almost like it would be wrong if I didn't eat everything. I kept (and keep) thinking about it, and I truly have no idea where that even comes from! I know some people grew up hearing "clean your plate" from their parents, but I have no recollection of my mother ever saying anything like that. So it can't possibly be something I learned as a child. Well, I'm not sure where this came from, or when it started, but I'm happy I'm now aware of it. I know part of the issue is eating in front of the TV and that's a whole other issue I'll have to address. For now I'm going to work on stopping when I feel full. I need to learn how to leave food on the plate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment